09 Jan Here’s to a Happy, Healthy New Year!
Wallowa Memorial Hospital is a recognized leader in community and employee wellness, and we’d like to share some tips for a healthy 2019. These tips come from Blue Zone, the study of the longest and healthiest living populations around the globe, and the common habits these communities share.
- Plant-slant diet — the best meals are made of fresh, whole foods that are plant-based. Swapping out two meat dinners per week for a plant-based meal can be a good start. Try black beans over a baked potato with fresh salsa.
- Move naturally — Take time out of your day for walking, with the goal of adding 30 minutes per day.
- Join a local church, any church — research shows those who attend services live longer and healthier lives.
- Strengthen family bonds — add a weekly or monthly family ritual to ensure these relationships stay a priority.
- Find your purpose — if you don’t have one already, pursue that hobby or larger purpose you’ve been thinking about.
- Beverage at Five Pm — whether it’s tea or a glass of wine or sparkling water, having a break between the stress of the work day and the rest of your evening has shown to be a good way to de-stress. Put down the cell phone and the screen and relax with family, neighbors or close friends at the end of the day, sharing and supporting one another.
These are a few of the Blue Zones principals, and they are proven to help you life a long, healthy and productive life. Enjoy!